D-011 - SAP BW and HANA Data Warehouse Health Check
Many large businesses have organically grown their SAP estate and the Datawarehouse over a long period. Support packs and upgrades have been applied. SAP BW was migrated to HANA inmemory DB; a portion of the estate was migrated to the cloud; more and more solutions were built.
But did you optimise your development principles for your Datawarehouse in the mean time? Or is there still significant legacy, with as a consequence slow, non-agile development; higher data footprint and higher run & maintain costs?
Our SAP Datawarehouse health check service has been created to assess if your DW analytics platform approach has adopted modern, agile principles including but not limited to:
- Ingestion mechanism, i.e. extractors vs SLT, SDI replication vs virtualization
- 1+ persistence principle (persist once for corporate memory, then virtualize rest or at best the calculated business logic only)
- A logic grouping framework for artefacts (developers to follow)
- Data tiering adoption (aged / column store data can be place in warm/cold)
- Design principles/guidelines
Benefits of investing in a modern DW
- Harvest value early in analytics delivery
- Accelerate delivery alongside legacy build
- Embed data tiering into your modern DW from day 1 to keep storage cost lean
- Reduce the number of developers required to churn analytics assets
Factors included in modern DW design
- Existing source landscape (ERP, non-ERP) What´s the best method of provisioning the data for analytics?
- DW design principles How does one accelerate delivery via virtualization of data?
- Data Tiering How does one accelerate offloading less accessed data to warm or cold storage
- Design principles How do you group artefacts when suddenly it is no longer full persistence along all layers?
- Sustained Design: Design authority & QA How do you structure a team to QA early and ensure consistent quality in delivery?
The following products will be produced:
- Context Interviews with data platform owner, architects to understand journey to date and design aspirations
- Assessment of maturity in adopting modern, agile DW principles (see intro)
- High-level outline on how to initiate modern, agile DW principles in SAP latest BW/HANA technology support packs
- Alignment on next steps, i.e. hands on in terms of setting up modern design principles and work with developer community, potentially pick a PoC candidate.
We offer a modern, agile DW health check within 10-man days based on modern/agile principles
Send me an email
Contact Hugo Cerutti
Do you have questions about how we can help your company?
Send me an email and we will contact you.